Sunday, April 21, 2013

Wishes

I lost my dad almost six years ago. I was fifteen. He was absolutely my best friend. It was terrible. But... it was a long time ago. There are still those days basically everyday when I really miss him. There is something I want to tell him, something I wish he was apart of. There are birthdays he's missed, dance competitions, graduations, weddings, and so many conversations. Today was an insignificant day but I wanted him to be here so bad. I wanted him to meet the husband and tell him he better not kill his daughter on the motorcycle. Wherever he is right now, I really do hope they know how lucky they are to have him around. I hope they take advantage of his humor and listen to his laugh. He had the best laugh; a contagious laugh. Let him tell all of his stories and accept his hugs. He gave the best hugs. He always wished for sons but he got a daughter and he was the best father a daughter could ask for. He learned to braid AND curl hair, never missed a dance concert and taught his daughter how to golf. I hope those around him now appreciate his generosity and let him curl their hair.

2 comments:

  1. Nicole this is the sweetest. From everything I've heard, he is an amazing guy. Can't wait to meet him someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your dad, too. You know, I don't think he's missed a single one of those events you have listed. My mom has been gone for 35 years, and I still talk to her all the time. I often feel the presence of my mom and my dad, and others who have passed on that love me. You're never alone. And love, well, it just gets stronger on the other side of the veil. Hope the husband gives you a couple of extra hugs today.

    ReplyDelete